Kayaking is a great water sport that requires intense activity while seated. For this reason, a comfortable kayak seat is essential regardless of whether you are in professional kayaking or you are just an amateur. However, shopping for the best kayak seats can be quite a hassle especially for beginners. Before buying a kayak seat, there are a few things you need to look out for to get the best value for your money.
For that reason, we have reviewed some of the best kayak seats out there in this article. This review can be resourceful to those shopping for kayak seats as it informs readers on what to look for in the best kayak seat. Among the features, we have considered while reviewing these kayak seats are their comfort, back support, versatility, padding, durability, stability, portability and most importantly pricing.
9 Best Kayak Seats On The Market in 2017
|The Comfort Plus kayak seat||23 x 15 x 2||1.8||Foam & Nylon|
|The Comfort Tech seat||27 x 15 x 3||4.7||Foam & Nylon|
|iROCKER Inflatable Paddle Board Kayak Seat||12 x 24 x 30||2.6||PVC|
|The Kerco kayak seat||13 x 15 x 1||3.4||Foam & Nylon|
|The GTS Sport Seat||2 x 14 x 14||2.7||Polyethylene/Nylon|
|The Spider angler seat||32 x 3 x 26||2.5||Polyethylene/Nylon|
|The Big Catch High Back kayak seat||13 x 16 x 1||3.7||Air-Flo 3D|
|Surf to Summit Outfitter Series Kayak Seat||20 x 13 x 15||2.8||Foam & PVC|
|Leader Accessories Deluxe Kayak Seat||20 x 18 x 15||3||Foam|
Advantages of the Best Kayak Seats
Kayak seats have several benefits that make them admirable to people.
- Kayak seats give you a paramount paddling motion. People need the comfort during the game, but many people tend to overlook this condition while purchasing the kayaks.
- Kayak seats offer good lumbar support. They help you to get rid of the back issue in the future life. The kayak seat has an adequate support cushion that helps in maintaining your back curve and muscles neighboring the posterior region.
- Kayak seat allows you to transfer your strength uniformly from the water with minimal loss. The seat helps you achieve high speeds and also helps in maintaining the pace.
Renowned Kayak Seat Brands
Selecting the best kayak seats for your next adventure trail can be a tough job! What type of materials used in it, will it be comfortable enough for the long run, or can it be used for multiple kayaking tours are some of the questions that need to be answered!
Well, you don’t have to worry about all these anymore! Just sit back, relax, and pick up the best or most comfortable kayak seats from this list; enjoy your next kayaking trails like never before.
1. Malibu Kayaks
- Best for fishing trips on kayaks.
- Strong, sturdy, and reliable.
- Comes with additional seating pads to make kayaking a comfortable affair.
- Extremely light; only 2.5 pounds, yet stronger than other kayak seats.
- Comes with built-in options like bottle holder, rod holders, rear bag holder, gear attachment rings, and several others.
2. GTS Sport
- Specially designed to extend more back support.
- Made up of imported Lycra foams and fabrics to enhance comfort level.
- Offers multiple seating positions to ensure amazing kayaking experience.
- Four attachments straps; 2 at the front and 2 at the back makes it the best kayak seat.
- Customized cushioning makes it ideal for all types of kayakers.
- It can be mounted on almost all types of sit on top kayaks.
- Crafted from molded foam and imported quality nylon.
- Comes with 15″ extra cushioning for better comfort.
- 4 marine clips of marine grade make it one of the best kayak seats within budget.
- Light in weight, but extremely reliable for sit on top kayaks.
- Has add-on features like backpack holders.
4. Surf to Summit
- Molded with multi-Iayered foam, durable fabrics, and best quality plastic.
- Comes with an option to customize comfort level by adjusting the attachment system.
- Offers maximum durability and endurance level while supporting the kayaker’s back.
- Weighs only 2 pounds and offers a lifetime warranty.
- Ideal to use in all types of kayaking tours; both recreational and commercial.
5. Newport Vessels Kayak
- Offers extreme stability and grip when mounted on kayaks.
- Fitted with 4 strong clips to extend extra grip while kayaking.
- It comes in a well-elevated form to offer extra comfort to the kayaker’s back.
- Simple and easy to fit it into the paddleboards.
- Ideal for kayakers of all age group and can be sought for longer trips.
- Can also be used in stand-up paddleboards without any hassles.
- Best kayak seats for the selected Sevylor kayaks.
- Crafted from breathable nylon fabrics and mesh combo materials.
- Can be fitted or removed without any hassle or difficulty.
- Aesthetically designed to offer comfort in both long and short trips.
- Has inbuilt add on features like bottle holder and detachable fanny pack.
- Made from Air-Flo3D fabrics that are known for its breathable and comforting properties.
- Offers extra width to kayakers and additional lumbar support while rowing.
- Additional 20″ pads and side wings for better backrest and support.
- Ideal for fishing tours; it has a removable fishing pack that can hold 2 fishing rods.
- Laced with additional utility boxes (3 nos.) and D-rings (2 nos.).
Things to Consider – Buying Kayak Seats
Most enjoyable kayaking experience requires that you make the right choices while buying the kayak and accessories. One of the most important considerations is the kayak seat. Simply put, it is where you actually spend your kayaking experience and where your body is the whole time – the connection between you and your beloved kayak. The best kayak seats provide comfort and ensure that your kayaking experience does not turn into a struggle. It should fit well and make you as comfortable as possible. This means that it should be made of comfortable, durable material which meets the best quality you’d want for your kayak.
The best kayaking experience is about comfort. Putting your mind into purchasing the best kayak seat means investing in your comfort. For a seat you will likely spend a significant amount of time while being physically active, it is essential that you try it out before purchasing.
Ensure that the seat does not make you strain at different levels of activity. The position of your legs relative to the rest of the body should be naturally comfortable. An important factor is a lumbar support the seat offers. Because if it is lacking in this, it may result in serious back pain. Also, consider the breathability of the seat to avoid excessive sweating.
2. Paddling and Cushioning
Kayaking is about lots of movement and activity. This makes cushioning a paramount consideration when buying a kayak seat. The cushioning needs to be adequate for you and positioned in strategic places to provide the necessary effect so that your body will not be sore at the end of the day. The best kayak seats must also have enough padding to ensure warmth.
Your kayak experience must be free of the fear of freezing from the low temperatures of the water. Padding and cushioning should not be too stiff of too soft and wobbly, it should be just right for your weight. This must be so for the padding both at the back and bottom. It is also necessary that the cushioning has the right grooving as these may dig into you during the movements.
Nothing can interfere with your performance while kayaking as can an unstable seat. The stability of the seat is what keeps you on the kayak, afloat. To compromise on this could mean ending up in the water with the sharks! Whether your kayak is for fishing or angling, the best seat should keep you firm in the cockpit. This will ensure that you can focus on what you need to do, making sure your kayaking performance is something to be proud of.
4. Durability and Quality
The cost of maintaining your kayak comes down to the quality of its assemblage. The seat is particularly important because it is where you actually spend all your time when kayaking. A durable seat will save you the pain and costs of frequent repairs and replacements especially if you use your kayak often.
Go for those made from heavy duty material. When we say cheaply is expensive, that interprets to the quality of what you get. Even when the price is crucial to your options, make sure that the seat you get will not fall apart after a few rounds of paddling, as having to go back to the store is ultimately more expensive than having that most durable seat in the market.
The best kayak seats should allow you to access essential items quickly so you don’t have to interrupt your performance. That extra storage in the seat is vital to this consideration. While the size of the seat may limit the amount of storage space, be sure to check the seat that offers you enough storage for your specific needs. The particular activity matters, as you may need more storage space when fishing, but any kayaking experience will be enhanced by that extra room for storage in your seat.
This is universally important. I mean, even with all the considerations, all the desires one may have, it comes down to what you can afford. The prices of kayak seat come in a wide range, which ensures that most people will find something close to their budget. Pricing also reflects quality, and affects all the above considerations. You need to sample many stores and seats to determine which one offers you the best price without compromising too much on the other considerations. That said, remember that investing more takes you closer to the best kayak seat. Go for affordable, not cheap!
7. Types to consider
Every market has certain brands that are clearly recognizable. Certain brands of kayaks and kayak seats stand out for what they offer in terms of comfort, durability, stability and affordability. The Ocean Kayak provides wonderful comfort with the padding especially padded lumbar support as well as adjustable straps. They are also great for durability due to the nylon cloth construction of their seats. These come with a wide price range.
Malibu Kayaks stand out for their high back and thick padding which provides excellent comfort for long duration kayaking. The seat also has rear gear bag to store your essential items. It also scores well on affordability. Other brands to consider along these lines for your kayak seat include the Surf to Summit for both sit-on-top and closed-cockpit kayaks. Skwoosh offers medically gel with high-tech fabrics as well as great lumbar support and stability. Kerco is a sit-on-top seat which will keep you safe and comfortable for long periods.
The 9 Best Kayak Seats 2017
Most a comfortable kayak seat is necessary for an enjoyable kayaking experience. Here is a review of the 9 best kayak seats in the market.
1. Ocean Kayak Comfort Plus Seat Back
The Ocean Kayak Comfort Plus Seat Back is made from durable UV resistant nylon and it’s attached to the kayak with reinforced stays. They stay attached to the kayak with solid brass clips and stainless steel springs. It is easy to attach and remove. It incorporates side panels. The thought that went into the seat design is evident in the light-sensitive logos that light up after dark.
- Padded seat for personal comfort.
- Padded side panels to reduce the impact of side-spray.
- Four-way adjustable positioning for changing the lean and side-wrapping supports.
- Moulded padded backrest allows for a comfortable upright position. It is also taller than most others.
- Reinforced stays for resilience.
- Solid brass clips for durability.
- Stainless Steel springs for durability.
- Glow-in-the-dark Logos for safety.
- Easy to fit and remove.
- Compatible with a range of accessories.
- Water Tank.
- 4 cab cool bag – for refreshment or bait.
- Storage bag.
- Fishing rod holder.
- Supplied as standard with several Ocean Kayak kayaks.
- Padded seat for personal comfort.
- Padded side panels to reduce the impact of side-spray.
- Four-way adjustable positioning for changing the lean and side-wrapping supports.
- Taller back-rest.
- Reinforced stays for resilience.
- Can be used as a beach/camp chair.
- Supplied as standard with several Ocean Kayak kayaks.
- The stays are too short for some kayaks.
- Not in the market long enough for significant user reviews.
2. Ocean Kayak Comfort Tech Seat Back
Ocean Kayak Comfort Plus Seat Black is one of the best kayak seats on our list. It brings out the best in kayaking and gives the kayaker a rare relaxation while fishing and geocaching. In any kayaking experience, there are fundamentals which determine whether the process will be pleasant or not. For a pleasant kayaking experience, one does not just need a seat but rather a soft seat with appropriate support to make the process pleasant and the truth is that Ocean Kayak Comfort Plus Seat is designed to facilitate exciting and comfortable kayaking.
- The back is heavily padded with clips to provide maximum comfort.
- It is made of UV-resistant cloth mainly nylon to ensure that it is durable.
- It has 4-way mounting straps which make it easy to adjust to the required position.
- It is fitted with reflective logos which provide adequate visibility under dim-light conditions.
- Ocean Kayak Comfort plus Seat is designed in such a way that it provides not only the right support of the back but it also has a good position for paddling motion.
- It also designed in such a way that it provides additional spaces and storage.
- In addition, the seat is well designed and equipped for long hours padding.
- It is very durable because it is made of nylon pack which is UV resistant and hence cannot easily fade when exposed to sunlight.
- It is not only for comfort but also to facilitate balancing and hence ensures the safety of the person kayaking.
- The seat is also fitted with 4 loops which facilitate adjusting of the sitting position and hence eases maneuvering.
- For starters, the seat can be complex to operate and understand how it works.
3. iROCKER Inflatable Paddle Board Kayak Seat
Looking for a sturdy and versatile seat for your paddle board?
The iROCKER inflatable paddle board kayak seat is as efficient and sturdy as it gets. Not only is it used on the iROCKER paddle board, this seat is also compatible with a number of other paddle boards. The Kayak seat is portable enough to be carried around with ease. Customers who have used this seat have confirmed that while it provides you with a smooth and stable ride. The seat is also versatile. It consists of an additional feature that allows you have fun and explore with the board. This iROCKER inflatable paddleboard kayak seat offers amazing features which make it one of the best kayak seats.
- This kayak seat consists of 4 straps and clips, it has 2 on each side. This clip helps keep the seat in its position to ensure it stays stable and does not wobble.
- The material this seat was made with offers great support to the user’s back. So you can be sure you will not be having any back pains after paddling.
- The seat’s back dimension is 18″ wide x 21″ tall, while the bottom part which is made for sitting is 12″ long and 15″ wide.
- This seat comes with D-rings that are attached to the paddle board to keep it sturdy.
- The seat stays sturdy and in place on the paddle boards.
- It is designed in such a way that it makes sure your back is supported while you paddle.
- This paddle board seat is also produced with a durable material that ensures you are comfortable while you paddle.
- It is versatile. This seat can be used with other inflatable paddle boards that have the D-ring which is used.
- It attaches the seat to the board.
- TIt is sturdy enough to carry a weight above 200lbs.
- You may find that the seats may not fit you perfectly if you are very tall. The kayak seat may not be able to provide your back with as much comfort as it needs.
- It does not come with an additional pump when it is purchased. You can only find all the other necessary accessories it comes with when you purchase the paddle board.
4. Kerco Sit-On-Top Kayak Seat Back
Without the right equipment, kayaking or paddle boarding can end up being completely uncomfortable and an experience one will ever think of indulging in again. Cue Kerco Explorer Sit-on-top Kayak Seat Back Equipped with Backpack, which basically makes the experience not only manageable but also something to enjoy every other time!
Optimized for kayaking and paddle boarding, Kerco Explorer Sit-on-top Kayak Seat Back Equipped with Backpack ensures that you literally sit back, relax and make the most out of your intended activity. From the low price to the enhanced and optimized quality features, you are sure to purchase Kerco Explorer Sit-on-top Kayak Seat Back Equipped with Backpack not only for yourself but also recommend it to your recreational paddlers and fishing buddies as well.
- It has a detachable and zipped backpack.
- Has adjustable seat straps for maximum comfort and seating space.
- Sit-on-top kayak seat-Seat cushion dimensions (LWH) 13x15x1 -Seat back dimensions (LW) 18×21-4 Marne grade brass clips for a secure hold.
- Item and shipping weight of 3.4 pounds.
- Value for money. Low prices for impeccable stitching and padding quality.
- Abundant storage space on the seatback for important items for the trip.
- Maximum stability! With its intricate design, Kerco Explorer Sit-on-top Kayak Seat Back Equipped with Backpack cannot sink.
- High rip resistance.
- Awesome back support and comfort.
- Easy mobility due to its light weight and design.
- Curbs paddle/kayaking speed.
- Small seat cushion. Occasionally get up to stretch.
- Can’t be used in strong waves and currents.
- Limited bottom padding. Muscles might get sore if going for long hours.
- Sit-on-top, therefore exposure to wave splashing and paddle dripping.
5. GTS Sport Sit-On-Top Kayak Seat Back
The GTS sport sit-on-top seats are the new benchmark in the kayak industry. Seat comfort is the top most priority for anyone because hours will be spent on seating position. This seat is made for all day paddling and in that aspect, the expedition is versatile, tough as well as comfortable. The material used to make the seat is nylon, thermo-formed plastic, EVA. The seats are easy to fit in and dry fast.
- The seat is laminated by lycra foam.
- Backrests are three layers laminated for better structural support.
- The molding in water channeling grooves is enhanced.
- There are four straps, two in the front and two in the back.
- The straps are multi-adjustable and these are solidly locked with a seat.
- Seat Cushion size 14″ L x 14″ W x A” H.
- Seat Back size 13″ L x 24″W.
- Bungee Pouch is made from flexible and durable mesh.
- The extra support for the lower back makes your seat same comfortable after a long time.
- The thick and well-laminated structure will give the seat an impressive longevity in the ravages of salt and sea.
- The Bungee pouch in the back is excellently stitched and is made of high-quality mesh.
- The deep channels in the seat bottom help well in the drainage of extra cockpit water.
- The GTS sport has a single thumb operated tension lock on front strap for easy adjust.
- In the back, there is 1.5″ adjustable hold down straps.
- The seat is designed only for a sit-on-top use but if the four attachment points are rig then it can be used in every sit-inside kayak also.
- Sometimes you may have to add more pad eyes to connect the kayak with the straps of the seat.
6. Malibu Kayaks Spider Angler Seat
Are you a fisherman who normally wants to stay longer in water fishing?
Then you need the Spider Kayaks Angler Seat which is the best kayak seats to use. This seat offers a very high back and thick padding, meant for the fisherman who enjoys spending hours on the water. In the seat, there is also a gear bag on the back which has a bottle holder, tool holders, navigation light holder, rod holders and “D” rings to attach a gear as well as reflectors to help the paddler to be safe. Hence, Spider Kayaks Angler Seat is very comfortable to sit in.
- It is thick. The Spider Kayaks Angler seat is thick enough to offer you the comfort you need and to keep you supported.
- The seat has the following measurements, seat: 18″ (W) * 14″ (L) and the backrest is 24″ (W) * 19″ (H).
- The seat also comes with other tools like rod holders, navigation light holder, and reflectors which help the fisherman a lot when fishing.
- It is easy to install. You do not need any technical expertise to install it.
- It dries fast. The seat has the loop on the back which allows you to hang the seat after coming out of the water.
- It takes a short period of time to dry.
- The seat can be adjusted to provide your individual fit. This seat can be easily adjusted to any height to fit your needs.
- The seat is comfortable. It is thick with a good high back for back support hence comfortable to seat on.
- It is sometimes difficult to choose between single or tandem kayak, for example, a couple may argue on whether to choose single or tandem kayak.
- Lack of freedom in case of tandem kayaks. This is because people may differ in the direction they want to go.
- Single kayak may not be safe for people who are not ready to paddle on their own like children.
7. Skwoosh High Back Kayak Seat
Skwoosh High Back Kayak Seat with an adjustable lumbar support and a waterproof nylon brings its users a unique combination of convenience and comfort. The adjustable lumbar support consists of a fluid state gel cushion whose full-width design is perfect for your back. Moreover, it’s coupled with an Air-Flo 30 cool fabric that that boosts your comfort.
The Skwoosh High Back Kayak Seat is at 20 inches high and is perfectly outlined to provide maximum comfort for lengthy paddling sessions. It also provides you with a bungee net kind of a pocket that comes in handy, if you would wish to store any personal effects. The Skwoosh High Back Kayak Seat is designed for maximum stability and performance. The user could be a fisherman, recreational paddler or even a long duration paddler.
- A waterproof nylon.
- An adjustable lumbar support that enables a user to chose their most comfortable positions.
- A zipper pocket that enables the user to store effects of their preference.
- 4 adjustable straps.
- 20″ height and contoured to maintain maximum convenience as far as comfort is concerned.
- The waterproof nylon brings the user an arguably important feature in that the seat does not get wet.
- The adjustable lumbar support ensures that the user is in the most comfortable position, as they adjust for themselves.
- The zipper pocket will be a helpful feature if the paddler opts to bring along some personal effects for lengthy sessions, such as cell phones or even sunscreens.
- The adjustable straps are necessary since they are not discriminative of the size of the paddler.
- Seating at 20 inches and contoured, the seat is uniquely crafted to offer a sublime blend of comfort and convenience.
- This seat once installed on the kayak, slippage may be noticed as the installation is not permanent.
- This seat may not be so comfortable for people with certain conditions such as herniated lower back disks.
8. Surf to Summit Outfitter Series Kayak Seat
The Surf to Summit Outfitter Series Kayak Seats with Standard Pack, Black is the strongest and most long lasting kayak seats. The seats are specially designed for rental and instructional kayak programs. The Surf to Summit kayak seats is made up of large and comfortable cushion and a 13-inch seat back for support. The kayak seats are built with an exclusive process of layered fabric, foam and plastic, compression molded at 400-degrees Fahrenheit and sixty tons of pressure.
This would compress the webbing at excellent leverage points. Added benefit of this webbing system is that it helps webbing replacement in the rare occurrence of a failure. This process makes the kayak seats last exceptionally longer than any average cut-and-sewn kayak seats. Another remarkable result of this intensive process also includes a soft, lycra-like feel to the fabric which feels good on the skin. The black seat features a four-point tractable attachment method for enhanced security. The Surf to Summit Outfitter Series Kayak Seats with Standard Pack, Black offers excellent value at an affordable price range without compromising on the performance.
- Long lasting.
- Lifetime Warranty.
- Designed to match rigorous quality standards.
- Attaches Easily.
- Unmatched durability.
- Laced webbing system.
- Detachable pack for added storage Considerable Back Support.
- Seat Back: 13″L x 20’W- Seat Cushion: 14″L x 16’W x 3/4″H.
- Easy to use and super comfortable.
- The seat offers strength, durability and comfort all-in-one.
- Great price for an exceptional product.
- The PVC plastic backing provides firm back support.
- Molded foam material built for long-term, heavy-duty use.
- The seats last longer than the average cut-and-sewn kayak seats.
- Good workmanship and reliable stitching.
- Soft, lycra-like fabric which feels good on the skin.
- Longer than your average cut-and-sewn Kayak.
- Seats are stiff and heavy.
- Not much cushioning.
- Does not come with instructions.
- You’ll need a foam cushion under the seat for a sit-in kayak.
9. Leader Accessories Deluxe Kayak Seat
Kayaking is well-known water sport that most people love to do. People use a kayak to roam on the water for recreations, tours or fishing purposes. Comfortability during Kayaking is a top priority as it influences your experience. A good comfortable seat can enable you to have the best kayaking experience. This is why you need an appropriate and best kayak seat for an epic kayaking time. A good example being Leader Accessories Deluxe Kayak Seat Boat Seat. This is especially of good use for anglers, as they have to sit for a long time while fishing.
- It’s a molded foam deluxe seat.
- it is made of solid brass marine based connecting snaps.
- It has 2 straps in front and 2 straps in the rear to allow an extensive span of adjustability and to accommodate any kayak.
- it sustains your back and bottom, therefore, providing incredible comfort.
- The leader accessories deluxe kayak seat also has adjustable webbing.
- The seat provides a lot more back support and is absolutely very comfortable.
- The back is semi-rigid not hard and it flexes but it isn’t floppy.
- Fits greatly in the kayak and is very easy to install.
- It has a very lengthy and firm back to provide a great underpin for long trips.
- The seat is of a very affordable price as compared to other boat seats.
- The seat has less padding performance at the bottom.
- The hook on the left side does not secure properly as the retracting part of the hook seems to be too long.
- This product is outstanding for back support but really mediocre for sit bone support.
- The seat is a little less fit for those on the heavier side as it needs more cushion at the bottom of the seat.
Your kayaking experience needs to be the one that meets your passion and fantasies. One thing that will make or break this is the seat. There are several variables to consider, which makes buying the best kayak seats, not in the slightest, a simple task. But going all out to get the best kayak seat will not only make your experience wonderful, it will save you all the trouble that may come with kayaking, including accidents and high maintenance cost.
Do not compromise on comfort, it is as important thinking about your health as a kayaker. Comfort is primary, and to compromise on it means interfering with how long you can continue kayaking, how well you can perform, getting aches and all sore, especially that nasty back pain after the kayak experience. This should not happen.
When considering buying a kayak seat, do some researches, ask credible sources, and try out as many as possible. Invest your time and be curious. Visit as many stores as you can and sample as many types of seats as possible. Be sure that the one you settle for gives the best possible all the variables we have outlined. Durability saves you on maintenance costs. Stability prevents interference with your performance and keeps you safe, above the water, not in the water.
That extra storage means that what you need is always at close range so that you do not have to stop paddling for long to access it. Get down to the details of the ventilation, the thickness, and distribution of the padding, the quality and design of the cushioning. Check that the storage meets your needs. If you have decided to purchase durable, comfortable and high-performing kayak seat, the 10 best kayak seats are mentioned above, grab the best one and go kayaking.